Moving Event sponsorship program Guidelines
Applications will be accepted from May 1-31, 2018.
In recognition of the important contribution events make to the City of El Paso’s overall image, the City offers a number of event support programs, including the Moving Event Sponsorship Program.
The purpose of this program is to support, and provide incentive for, all-inclusive mobile community events, such as parades, runs or walks, held in El Paso that contribute to a diverse, vibrant and strategically balanced City events program that promotes health, culture and art awareness; celebrates our unique diversity, history and heritage; and enhances our pride and sense of community
The program provides non-profit and for-profit organizations the opportunity to apply once each fiscal year for City funds to cover all or a portion of City-related costs associated with producing the event. Typically the largest of these costs comes from traffic control assistance provided by the El Paso Police Department along the event route. Other costs that may be covered include: other public safety, street cleaning and solid waste removal services.
Program Participation and Eligibility
Support is provided in the form of in-kind services, rather than direct cash payment. There must be clear value received for any sponsorship from the City. Organizations wishing to participate must demonstrate the event will serve a municipal purpose and:
- Provide educational, recreational, cultural, historical or social opportunities accessible to a significant number of El Paso residents;
- Enhance the City of El Paso’s status as a desirable location for events and activities and offers an opportunity for enhanced community pride; and
- Be non-discriminatory in nature and provide reasonable accommodations for those with special needs.
Program participation is limited to the following types of events and event applicants:
- The event must be a moving event such as a run, walk, procession, parade, march or race;
- The event must take place within the City of El Paso corporate limits.
Funding for the sponsorship program is provided through General Fund revenues. As such, events wishing to participate in the program must be open and available to participation by all citizens of El Paso and meet the following:
- The event must not be part of a religious ceremony;
- Holiday events must be nonreligious in nature;
- The event cannot be tied to the endorsement of a political group; and
- The event cannot be a school function.
When applying, you will need to classify your event one of the following event types:
- The event has been in existence for minimum of five years;
- The event can prove that it provides a significant positive economic impact to the City of El Paso;
- The event is programmed for and marketed to the community at large.
- The event has been in existence for a minimum of three years;
- The event promotes civic and/or neighborhood pride and enhances the quality of life and well-being of the City’s residents;
- The event is programmed and advertised/marketed to the community at large.
- The event or a substantially similar event has been in existence for less than three years;
- The event has a plan to for sustainability and growth;
- The event is programmed and advertised/marketed to the community at large.
- The event is organized and conducted by a non-profit entity;
- The event’s proceeds are given directly to organizational programs;
- The event provides a benefit to the general public.
- The event includes participation by the general public, either as spectators or participants, notwithstanding an admission or participation fee.
The number of sponsorships and amount of funding are restricted and may vary from year-to-year depending on budgetary limitations. Award amounts may cover all or a portion of City-related costs associated with event production; any portion of City-related costs that are not covered by the award amount will be invoiced to the event producer following the event and payment will be due within thirty (30) days of receipt of the invoice.
An organization may apply for funds for consecutive years; however, there are no guarantees that a sponsorship will be carried over from one year to another. An exception may be made in the case of events that have taken place in El Paso for ten or more years; funding requests and approval for multi-year event agreements may be accommodated through the City’s annual budgeting process in lieu of an annual application.
Application for Sponsorship Requests
Applications will be made once each year for all sponsorship requests. The FY19 application submission period will open May 1, 2018 and close May 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm. Applications for participation in the sponsorship program must be completed in full to be considered for funding. All applicants will be notified during the first week of March whether or not their event has been accepted for funding. Those events accepted for funding will also be provided an award letter detailing the award amount.
The request for sponsorship will be ineligible for funding if any section of the application process is incomplete. All applicants must submit the following with their application packet to be considered for sponsorship:
- A completed Moving Event Sponsorship Program Eligibility Application
- A completed Event Application to include route map and written route;
- Certificate of General Liability Insurance written by a company licensed to do business in the State of Texas showing valid coverage for the date of the event, including the following: Commercial General Liability policy with a combined single limit of $1,000.000 per occurrence for coverage’s A&B including products/completed operations, where appropriate, with a separate aggregate of $1,000,000.
- Naming the City of El Paso, 811 Texas Ave., El Paso, Texas 79901 as the additional insured and as the certificate holder.
- As an alternative to this requirement, the event may be eligible for coverage through the City’s TULIP program. Determination of eligibility and a cost estimate for TULIP coverage can be requested through the City’s Events Program located at the One-Stop-Shop prior to application submittal.
Once completed, you may submit your application packet to SpecialEvents@elpasotexas.gov or drop it off at the One-Stop-Shop, located at 811 Texas Ave. El Paso, Texas 79901.
Important Application Deadlines
May 1, 2018 at 12:00 am
Application Submission Period Opens
May 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Application Submission Deadline
June - August 2018
Application Review Period
During the second week of March, applicants will be notified whether their event has been approved for sponsorship and if approved, awardees will be notified of award amount.
Event Producer Responsibilities
Upon approval of funding, an “Event Agreement” between the event producer and the City of El Paso will be executed and will define the contractual responsibilities of the two parties. The event producer may be required to submit additional information prior to contract execution detailing entity formation to ensure it is in good standing and the appropriate officer/representative is serving as signatory on the contract.
The event producer will be expected to comply with all City of El Paso application, permit, insurance, and approval requirements and processes for moving events. All permits and approvals must be obtained prior to contract execution and provision of City support.
For questions or assistance, please contact the City of El Paso Events Program at (915) 212-1506 or email inquiries to SpecialEvents@elpasotexas.gov. Events staff is also available to answer questions in person at the One-Stop-Shop located at 811 Texas Ave. El Paso, TX 79901.
Applications received that are incomplete and/or are not completed by the application submittal deadline will be considered ineligible. Applications will be reviewed upon submittal to ensure they are complete, however, there is no guarantee your application will be reviewed for acceptance by the application submittal deadline. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Submittal of an application does not guarantee sponsorship as funds are limited. Application for funding is not a legally binding agreement; after City approval of sponsorship, a formal contract will be sent to the sponsorship awardee.