Human Resources


Employment Frequently Asked Questions

1.) What is NEOGOV?

NEOGOV is a business that has an online hiring system called ‘INSIGHT’ that allows applicants to create a user account/profile, apply for current job opportunities and check the status of their candidacy all online! This system has allowed the City of El Paso recruitment and selection process to become fully automated.

2.) This is my first time applying for a City job online. Where do I begin?

If this is your first time applying for a City job online, you must create an account that includes a unique username and password. Note: Each applicant must have his/her own email address when setting up an account. After your account is established, you can create an application by logging with your ‘Username: _______ and Password: _______.’  This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening. Do not share your Username and Password with anyone. Only one applicant per account is allowed.

3.) What if I don’t have a computer or internet access to apply?

If you do not have a computer with internet service you will be able to access the system from any City Library, the Human Resources Department at City Hall, or at any Police Command center.

4.) Do I need an email account to apply?

Yes, an email address is required to complete the online application form.

5.) How do I get help with completing the online application form?

Human Resources are committed to ensuring that this process is easy and user-friendly. To help applicants, the following resources are available:

Online Application Guide

Getting Started - Request New Job Seeker Account

6.) Can applications be submitted daily?

Applications are only accepted for current openings. View a list of current job openings.

7.) Does Human Resources provide ‘LIVE’ help with completing applications?

Yes, ‘Live’ Help from Human Resources is available during regular business hours: Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please call 915-212-0045 or go to the Human Resources Department located at City Hall if you need assistance.

8.) Can I submit a Job interest card for a job that is not advertised now?

Yes, if our current openings do not include jobs you are interested in at this time, you may complete a job interest notification request. To sign up for e-mail notifications - you can request job notifications by specific job titles. You will be notified by e-mail once the position(s) you are interested in is open for recruitment

9.) Is there a different application for Original, Promotional, or Competitive Reassignment candidates?

There is one application for all candidates.

10.) Do I need to complete a new application each time I apply for a City position?

Candidates can simply update their previous application on file and submit for other job opportunities.

11.) When do job openings normal close?

Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Job postings may close at any time in order to meet City employment needs.

12.) Do I need to complete my application before I submit it?

Yes, all incomplete applications will not be considered

13.) Can I submit a résumé with my applications?

>Yes, applicants may submit a résumé to accompany the application as supplemental information only, but the résumé will not be reviewed to determine minimum qualifications.

14.) Can I submit additional information or modify my application after I submit it to human resources?

No additional information or modifications to the information provided on your application will be accepted after the filing deadline unless specifically requested by Human Resources.

15.) How do I access my on-line account or check the status of my once it has been established?

Once you have established your account, you may access your account by clicking “Applicant Login” located on the City of El Paso Employment page, or from here you may:

Create a new application(s)

Update your application(s)

Check the status of your application(s) 

View ALL jobs that you have applied for

16.) I have been disqualified. Now what can I do?

Applicants who are disqualified from taking an examination may appeal to the Civil Service Commission or Human Resources Director. Appeals may be turned in Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Human Resources Department.When necessary, candidates may be asked to give more details concerning current or past work experience. Applicants may obtain the correct form to expand on work experience.

17.) What is the Civil Service Commission?

The Civil Service Commission is a quasi-judicial board volunteering their time to ensure applicants and employees are treated fairly.

18.) What is the appeal process?

Applicants who are disqualified may appeal to the Civil Service Commission, but must do so within three (3) working days from the date the disqualification is sent. Untimely appeals will not be accepted. The Commission will meet the second Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m.

19.) When will I be contacted?

The Human Resources Department will review your job application and will email you a notice of qualification or disqualification with instructions. If qualified, once testing is completed and the eligible list has been certified, a new notice with your grade and rank on the eligible list will be emailed to you

20.) How do I study for an examination?

All tests are related to the position and examination topics come from knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the position. We recommend that you review the knowledge, skills, and abilities posted on the job specification.

21.) If I am interviewed for a position and not selected will I be notified?

Yes, you will be notified through email notification that you were not selected.

22.) How long is an eligible list in effect?

Normally, 6 months unless exhausted or extended by the Human Resources Director.

23.) Where will I work and where is the job located?

The job location varies with the department. There are multiple work locations within the City.

24.) What type of files can I attached to my application?

Accepted file formats are: Acrobat Portable Document Format ('.pdf'), Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet ('.xls'), or Microsoft Word Document ('.doc').

25.) When do I need to supply official proof of Education or other transcripts?

Candidate’s must provide official proof of Education or other requirements, official transcripts, original or certified copies of diplomas, official certificates, and driver’s license (if required), within three (3) working days of being contacted with a job offer.

26.) Do my diplomas & transcripts need to be from an accredited college or university?

Yes, jobs requiring a Post-secondary Education or Accredited program must be granted or earned by an Accredited Agency and/or State approved agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education. A complete list of recognized institutions can be found on the U.S. Department of Education Website:

27.) Do you accept Foreign Degrees?

Yes, applicants with foreign degrees must have all documents translated and evaluated by a college, university, or Credentials Evaluation Services Department prior to submitting them to the Human Resources Department. It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit to the Human Resources Department all certificates, courses, diplomas or transcripts that the applicant wishes to have considered.

28.) Where can I take a typing exam?

Human Resources Department is offering typing exams for those interested. The exams will be given daily and will be held in the Human Resources Department located at 300 N. Campbell in City Hall. Tests are scheduled to run from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and are given in thirty minute intervals on a first come first serve basis. No appointments are necessary. Picture I.D. is required to take the exam.

29.) Who is eligible for a promotional opportunity?

A person is eligible to take promotional examinations after actual service in a classified position for six months and when he fully meets the qualifications for the class as specified in the job description. The six months of actual service will be deemed to have been met if the employee completes the six months of service by the date the first component of the examination is administered, and the employee is recommended for regular status.

30.) Can my education substitute for experience?

Yes, when determining whether an applicant meets the minimum qualifications of a job class, the Human Resources Director will permit education to substitute for experience in accordance with Civil Service Commission policy regarding equivalencies. Learn More

31.) Where can I find information about the Classifications & Compensation?

Duties and minimum qualifications for each position vary. Click on this link for a complete listing of job descriptions and salaries. All classified City positions are paid according to one of the following pay schedules. Click on any of these links to view pay scales: Executive SalaryFire Services (FS), General ServicesPolice (P), and Professional Managerial. The starting salary is generally at the entry rate.