El Paso Municipal Court holds jury trials the last Thursday and Friday of each month and more frequently, as scheduled by the Municipal Court judges. Jurors are summoned by the Municipal Court Clerk for service at trial. The juror pool is drawn from voter’s registration rolls and Department of Public Safety rolls. In order to serve as a juror you must reside within the limits of the City of El Paso.
JURY DUTY INFORMATION FOR THE CURRENT MONTH
THE FOLLOWING ARE JURY TRIALS SCHEDULED FOR MAY 2018 FOR EL PASO MUNICIPAL COURTS
Jurors scheduled for May 24, 2018 at 8:30 am are excused. You are NOT required to appear.
Jurors scheduled for May 25, 2018 at 8:30 am are excused. You are NOT required to appear.
Please verify that your notice is from the El Paso Municipal Court and not the County (915) 546-8102 or Federal Courts (915) 534-6725.
JURY TRIAL DAYS:
Exemptions to Juror Service: The following people are welcome to serve as jurors, but may claim an exemption to juror service if so desired:
- Persons over (70) years of age;
- Persons who have legal custody of a child under the age of 10 years if jury service by that person would necessitate leaving the child without adequate supervisions;
All students of public or private secondary school’Every person who is enrolled and in actual attendance at an institution of higher education;
- Persons who are the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for himself or herself;
- An officer or an employee of the Senate, House of Representatives or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state government; or
- He or she has served as a petit juror in the county during the 24-month period preceding the date he/she is to appear for jury service.
- He or she has served as a petit juror in the county during the three-year period preceding the date the person is to appear for jury service.
- You must file your written request for exemption with the Municipal Court Clerk prior to the date you have been summoned to serve.
CONFIRMATION OF ATTENDANCE:
If you have been summoned as a juror please confirm your attendance the day before the day you are scheduled to serve by calling 212-0215 or 212-0224. If the case has been resolved at the last minute or if it has been reset to a future date, your call will allow us to inform you, sparing you a trip to the courthouse.
The Court does not have a parking area for jurors. You may park at a metered parking space. If you receive a parking citation, please bring, or mail, the citation with your juror letter/certificate to the Court to have the Hearing Officer review the documents for ticket dismissal. This applies to tickets issued for an Expired Meter violation only.
FAILURE TO APPEAR:
If you have been summoned as a juror and you fail to appear, you may be subject to a $100 fine for contempt as ordered by the judge.