About the Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) Program
- PHEP ensures health and safety of the El Paso community through:
- Developing collaborative partnerships with federal, state and local government officials, hospitals, community-based organizations and volunteers.
- Developing plans and providing training to partners and stakeholders.
- Conducting drills and exercises of those plans.
- Performing surveillance and investigation of specific communicable/infectious diseases and other public health threats or emergencies.
PHEP Key Components:
- Public health response and support
- Epidemiological surveillance and investigation
- Rapid notifications and alerts
- Mass prophylaxis and vaccination
- Drills and exercises
- Internal and external training
- Community Education - Click here to request a presentation about various public health topics on the Speakers Bureau page.
Potential local public health threats include:
- Communicable disease outbreak (hepatitis A, measles, H1N1 influenza, West Nile virus, etc.)
- Natural disasters (winter storms, extreme heat, floods, and high winds)
- Bioterrorism incidents (anthrax, plague, smallpox)
- Radiological disasters (bombs or power plants accidents)
Emergency Preparedness Resources
- Texas Prepares - Ready or Not? Have A Plan
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- 2-1-1 (Dial: 2-1-1 or toll free 1-877-541-7905)
- State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry
(Voluntary registry for people who need assistance for evacuation in the case of an emergency.)
Non-Emergency Helpful Numbers
- El Paso Police Department 915-832-4400
- El Paso Fire Department 915-832-4432
- El Paso County Sheriff's Office 915-546-2280
- Animal Services Department 915-842-1000
- 24/7 Diseases Reporting 915-212-6520
- American Red Cross 915-592-0208
- Paso Del Norte Food Bank 915-544-5592
- Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222
City of El Paso Department of Public Health
Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) Program
5115 El Paso Dr.
El Paso, TX 79905
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Health Emergency Preparedness Program
5115 El Paso Drive
El Paso, Texas 79905
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday
7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.