Do you understand filing a false report is a crime?
Texas Penal Code - § 37.08. False Report to Peace Officer, Federal Special Investigator, or Law Enforcement Employee states:
- (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to deceive, he/she knowingly makes a false statement that is material to a criminal investigation and makes the statement to:
- (1) a peace officer or federal special investigator conducting the investigation; or
- (2) any employee of a law enforcement agency that is authorized by the agency to conduct the investigation and that the actor knows is conducting the investigation.
- (b) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
Criteria for Filing a Report Online
- The offense cannot be an emergency or a crime in progress.
- The offense has to have occurred within the El Paso city limits.
- The offense cannot be an assault by a family member; family member is defined as Boyfriend, Girlfriend, Intimate Partner, Roommate, Spouse, Common in Law Spouse, Parent, Sibling, Child, Grandparent, Grandchild, In-Laws, Step-parent, Step-child, Step-sibling or Other Family Member.
- The vehicle cannot be stolen.
- The offense cannot involve the theft of a vehicle, utility trailer, or damage to the vehicle's ignition or steering wheel column.
- The theft from a person cannot have involved any form of violence or threat.
- The offense cannot be a burglary.