- June 2005 – The Internal Audit Office is created under the City Manager’s Office. Began conducting Performance, Operational, Compliance, and Financial Audits of City Departments.
- January 2006 – Legislative Review Committees (LRC) are established. An Internal Audit Committee LRC was created to serve as a Public Reporting Mechanism for the Internal Audit Office.
- 2006 – Began the process for completing audits of Hotels, Rent-a-Car Agencies, Shops, and Restaurants at the El Paso International Airport.
- 2007 – Began the practice of conducting an External Quality Assurance Review (Peer Review). A process of conducting an audit of the Internal Audit Office. The review is conducted by the Association of Local Government Auditors. The reviewers are City Auditors or Staff Members from other U.S. cities. Four Peer Reviews have been completed since 2007, those years are 2010, 2013, and 2016. The Internal Audit Office has passed all 4 Peer Reviews. The next review will be completed in 2019.
- September 2008 – Established the City of El Paso’s Ethicsline, an anonymous employee hotline to report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse.
- January 2009 – The Internal Audit Office began conducting Hotel Occupancy Tax Audits at hotels located in El Paso, TX.
- February 2010 – The Internal Audit Office began reviewing Property Tax Refunds processed by the Consolidated Tax Office. These reviews are completed using the guidelines established by the State of Texas.
- May 2013 – The Financial Oversight and Audit Committee (FOAC) is created as a result of a City Charter Election. The FOAC was given oversight over the Internal Audit Office and the Chief Internal Auditor. The Chief Internal Auditor continues to report administratively to the City Manager.
- January 2014 – The Internal Audit Office creates a process to conduct Payday Loan Reviews as a result of City Council establishing a Payday Loan Ordinance.
- July 2014 – The Chief Internal Auditor was appointed Medicare Compliance Officer. This required the Internal Audit Office to complete Medicare Claim Reviews submitted by the Fire Department. A process was created where a Co-Sourcing Contract was awarded to a firm specializing in conducting Medicare Claim Reviews.
- 2015 – At the request of the City of El Paso’s Ethics Commission, a process was created to provide assistance to the Commission.
- January 2016 – The Internal Audit Office began conducting Hotel Occupancy Audits using a co-sourcing contract with a firm specializing in completing Hotel Occupancy Tax Audits. Three rounds of audits have been completed in 2016, 2017 & 2018.
- March 2016 – The Internal Audit Office completed its first Cybersecurity Audit of the City’s Information Technology Department.
- June 2017 – The Internal Audit Office completed its first audit of Mountain Star Sports, the owners of the El Paso Chihuahuas Baseball Team.
- July 2017 – The Internal Audit Office completed a Cybersecurity Assessment and completed the first Penetration Test of the City of El Paso Computer Networks.
- December 2017 – A process was created to collect past due Hotel Occupancy Tax by partnering with the City Attorney’s Office and City Comptroller.
- April 2018 – The Internal Audit Office completed a project to begin monitoring Sales Tax collected within the City of El Paso.