Due to the impact of COVID-19 on our workforce, Curbside Recycling Collections and the Opt-In Recycling programs will be suspended until further notice effective December 1, 2020, customers should only place their gray trash bin out for scheduled collections. Blue bins will NOT be collected. Tips for managing household waste during this period.
To combat recycling contamination the City of El Paso’s Environmental Services Department (ESD) is introducing the Opt-In Recycling Program.
The program is solely for new ESD customers and educates our community about the items that belong in the blue bin, and about the benefits of recycling. Although many materials are recyclable not all of them belong in the City-issued blue bin. Only recyclable materials accepted by the local recycling manufacturing plant should be placed in a blue bin.
New customers requesting delivery of a blue bin will be given the option to participate in the Curbside Recycling Program. Participation in the program is not mandatory. New customers include commercial and waiver program accounts. If new customers choose to opt-in the program, they will be provided with a class highlighting items accepted in the recycling program and with a bin upon successful completion of the class. There is no fee to take the class and no additional delivery fee for the blue bin after the successful completion of the class. Existing ESD customers are grandfathered into the Curbside Recycling Program.
- I used to have a blue bin in my previous home can you send me the blue bin to my new home?
- Answer: After you successfully complete a class highlighting items accepted in the recycling program, a blue bin will be delivered to your new home.
- Why do I have to complete a recycling class now?
- Answer: Too many items not accepted in the Curbside Recycling Program placed in the blue bins. To combat recycling contamination, ESD is expanding its education efforts about the items that belong in the blue bin and the benefits of recycling.
- Is there a cost for taking the class:
- Answer: There is no fee for attending the class.
- Do I need to participate in the class if I need my blue bin repaired?
- Answer: No. ESD repairs the bins at no additional cost, and attendance in the class is not necessary.
- My blue bin is broken. Do I need to take the class to have it replaced?
- Answer: No. ESD will replace the bin at no cost, and class attendance is not required for replacement.
- Is completing the class mandatory?
- Answer: Participation in Curbside Recycling Program is not mandatory. Customers don’t have to Opt-In to the recycling program. New customers interested in curbside recycling services must take the class to receive a blue bin.
- Will there be a fee to deliver the blue bin after I complete the class?
- Answer: There will not be any additional delivery fees after you complete the class. Once the class is completed, we will send out a work order for delivery, and your bin will be delivered anywhere from seven (7) to ten (10) business days.
- Where can I learn more about the Curbside Recycling Program?
- Answer: You may download our free ESD Works for You app or visit http://www.elpasotexas.gov/recycle.