The Fair Housing Office of the City of El Paso, in addition to coordinating and overseeing the Fair Housing Task Force functions, it receives and addresses citizens' reports of possible fair housing discrimination in the City of El Paso. Residents are provided with information to ensure that they know their rights and are protected from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and familial status.
WHAT IS HOUSING DISCRIMINATION?
Fair Housing discrimination occurs when a person who is trying to rent, buy or secure financing for any housing is discriminated against based on his or her race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and familial status.
ACTIONS THAT ARE ILLEGAL:
Discriminate against any person in the sale or rental, as well as access to financing and insurance services for any type of housing. Refuse to rent, sell , or make housing unavailable based on a person's race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability or familial status. Refuse to make reasonable accommodations or modifications for a person with a mental of physical disability.
HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT:
If you think your rights have been violated, you may contact our office. The City of El Paso, Fair Housing Office is ready to help you. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint, but you should file as soon as possible. The following information will be requested:
- Your name and address
- The name and address of the person your complaint is against
- The address or other identification of the housing involved
- A short description of the alleged violation
- Date(s) of the alleged violation
These are some of the ways in which you can contact us with any questions or to file a complaint.
For more information, please contact:
City of El Paso Fair Housing Officer
801 Texas Ave. 3rd Floor
El Paso, Texas 79901
HUD Regional Office
You may contact this office in writing, by phone or on the web:
Fort Worth Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
801 North Cherry Street, Unit #45
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
1-817-978-5900 (Phone) or 1-(800) 877-8339 (TTY)
FAIR HOUSING TASK FORCE:
The ordinance that established the Fair Housing Task Force was approved April, 1988. The Ordinance provides for nine voting members and nin ex-officio members. Each City Council Representative is asked to appoint one voting member and the Chairperson is appointed by the Mayor. The ex-officio members are appointed by Directors of their various organizations within the community.
Click on the link below for more information on the Fair Housing Task Force:
Fair Housing. It's Not an Option. It's the Law.
ANALYSIS OF IMPEDIMENTS
- Analysis of Impediments - 2016 (Update)
- Fair Housing Task Force Annual Report
- 2018 Fair Housing Proclamation
FAIR HOUSING BROCHURES
- Eviction - (English) (Spanish)
- Fair Housing - (English) (Spanish)
- Reasonable Accommodations - (English) (Spanish)
- Repairs - (English) (Spanish)
- Assistance Animals - (English) (Spanish)
- 311: City of El Paso Services and Programs (dial 311 on your phone)
- 211 Texas Rio Grande Area Information Center (dial 211 on your phone)