why spay or neuter your pets?
Spay/neuter surgeries are an effective method of birth control for dogs and cats. You can help reduce the number of needless animal deaths in El Paso by spaying or neutering your pet.
In 2014, about 18,000 dogs and cats were euthanized due to the community's pet overpopulation, stemming from unplanned and uncontrolled breeding. Today, with the community's proactive spay and neutering, the euthanasias in El Paso have been reduced to half. With the continued support from our community, El Paso can reach a "no-kill status.
- Pets may drink water up until the time of surgery.
- Adult animals should not have solid food after 6 p.m. of the night before their sterilization surgery.
- Puppies and kittens (4 months - 1 year) should not have solid food after 11 p.m. of the night before the surgery.
- High-risk pets that will not be spayed or neutered due to health risks include:
- Younger than 4 months
- Older than 3 years of age
- Overweight, females in heat or pregnant
- Males whose testicles have not descended.
- Animals larger than 65 pounds.(It is extremely difficult to maneuver a large unconscious animal without risking injury to it due to space constraints inside the van.)
- Small dog/cat spay (up to 39 pounds), $79
Animals in poor health, pregnant or old may be declined or charged an additional fee ranging from $45 to $85.
- Female dogs must be three (3) years old and younger
- Male dogs must be three (3) years old and younger
- All dogs must weigh at least 3 pounds and no more than 65 pounds
- Small dog neuter (up to 39 pounds), $79
Animals in poor health, old or cryptorchid males (males whose testicles have not descended) may be declined or charged an additional fee ranging from $45 to $85.
- Other size dogs, $79. On some occasions at the discretion of the veterinarian some dogs of up to 65 pounds may be accepted.
- Microchipping, $25
- Rabies vaccine with City license included, $25
- Canine distemper/parvo vaccine, $15
- Feline distemper vaccine, $15
Pet Care-A-Van Schedule
NEW Operation Hours:
Monday–Friday 7:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Sunday 7:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Afternoon Clinics 4p.m. – 7p.m.