WIC (Women, infants, and children)
Texas WIC is open for business as usual even though the federal government has shutdown. WIC gives families who are pregnant or have children under 5 access to healthy food, nutrition education and breastfeeding guidance.
- Nutrition Education
- Breastfeeding Education and Support
- High Risk Assessment and Counseling
- Medical Nutrition Screening
- Medical/Social Referrals
- Healthy Supplemental Foods
WHAT IS WIC?
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
- By phone: 915-212-4WIC (4942)
- By visiting the nearest location to you
WIC AUTHORIZED FOODS
- TX WIC Approved Foods
- TX WIC Shopping Guide
- Shopping Guide for Infant Formula
- Authorized WIC Vendor List
NUTRITION EDUCATION SERVICES
- Classes at your center
- Self-Paced lessons
- Take home lessons such as educational videos
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselors available to assist at all centers
- Breastfeeding lessons
- Breast Pump Program
- Assistance from International Board of Lactation Consultant if needed or requested
- WIC Client Breastfeeding Referral Handout
- Mother Friendly Initiative
HELPFUL NUMBERS / WEBSITES
- WIC Program 915-212-4WIC (4942)
- Local Immunization Clinics
- Outreach Activities or Requests Contact
- Erica Garcia 915-472-4483 GarciaEY@elpasotexas.gov
- Texas Mother Friendly
- Breastmilk Every Ounce Count
- Best for Babes
- Lactation Foundation in Houston
- La Leche League International (LLLI)
- Kelly mom
- Breastfeeding Made Simple
- La Leche League (Meeting Days/Times)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- If I am not a citizen can I apply for WIC?
As long as you reside in the El Paso, Hudspeth county you are eligible to apply for the WIC program.
- If my child was born in the United States, yet currently resides outside of Texas, is my child entitled to get WIC?
No, each child must reside in Texas in order to be eligible to apply for Texas WIC. WIC Programs are available in every state.
- If I receive no income, what should I bring to my WIC appointment?
Participants must provide income of all members that are working in the household or financial support given or paid to the household and/or if none report no income.
- What do I do if I can’t find my WIC card?
Participants need to call Customer Service Center at (915) 212-4WIC (4942) to set up an appointment to receive replacement card. Once replacement card has been received then benefits can be loaded onto the card. Without the card, no benefits can be loaded.
- Can I receive sample formula to last me until my WIC appointment?
WIC no longer provides sample formula; therefore participant will need to purchase their own formula to last them until the day of their WIC appointment.
- What do I need to do if the formula provided does not agree with my baby?
Refer to your Pediatrician for assistance. If your Pediatrician changes formula to a non-contract formula then a prescription is needed. Participants need to contact the WIC Customer Service Center to set up appointment in order to request formula change. Participants need to provide completed prescription upon attending their WIC appointment.
- Can I receive formula if I currently have the enhanced breastfeeding food package (100% breastfeeding)
Since every breastfeeding participant receives breastfeeding support, all mother who request formula will receive individual counseling with a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor or Breastfeeding Educator to assure that is the route mom would like to take. If participant decides to continue with formula request and she has not redeemed any of her current month food benefits, she can be eligible to receive formula for current month. If a mother did redeem any current month benefits then we will not be able to issue formula for current month. Future months can be adjusted to include formula amount needed.
- If I am returning to El Paso can I still use my WIC card?
Yes, your card can be re-activated, therefore upon setting an appointment please inform staff you have a WIC card previously used when on the program.
Education and Promotion
CommUnity Care Center
- Hepatitis C Program
- Emergency Preparedness
STD Preventive Medicine
211 Call Center
WIC Program915-212-4WIC (4942)
Breastfeeding After hours
Monday-Saturday from 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Prevent adverse health related effect in pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women and young children under five years of age by providing nutritional knowledge/services