NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF EL PASO
CITY HALL, TWO CIVIC CENTER PLAZA
COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 2ND FLOOR
THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2013
Notice is hereby given that a Special Meeting of the City Council of the City of El Paso will be conducted on Thursday, March 21, 2013, at 10:00 a.m. in the City Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, City Hall, Two Civic Center Plaza, El Paso, Texas.
1. Discussion and action on a presentation of the City’s Capital Improvement Plan update.
[Engineering and Construction Management, Irene Ramirez, (915) 541-4431] (Attachment)
2. Discussion and action on the impact of sequestration on international bridge wait times and possible solutions. Presentation of Project-21: 100 Day Plan for the following three projects:
a. Action Plan #1 - Continue with the implementation of the dedicated lanes and risk segmentation at the Ysleta-Zaragoza Port of Entry to secure, facilitate and grow the certified trusted shipments.
b. Action Plan #2 - Implementation of secure cross border buses to facilitate the movement of thousands of pedestrians across the Paso Del Norte and Stanton Ports of Entry.
c. Action Plan #3 - Eliminate major southbound traffic congestion for passenger vehicles during peak periods at the Bridge of the Americas (BOTA) by creating HOT Lanes.
[Mayor John Cook, (915) 541-4015]
3. Discussion and action on a Resolution that the City Manager or designee be authorized to extend the contract with Secure Origins, Inc. to fund the Project-21 pilot program in the amount of $195,000 for another 90-day period to facilitate cross border traffic at the Ysleta-Zaragoza Port of Entry. [Mayor John Cook, (915) 541-4015] (Attachment) (Attachment) (Attachment)
4. Discussion and action on the status of research for the site location of the soccer complex. [Representative Michiel R. Noe, (915) 541-4189]
5. Discussion on a proposal to amend Chapter 9.50 of the El Paso Municipal Code (Smoking in Public Places). [Representative Cortney Carlisle Niland, (915) 541-4168]
The City Council of the City of El Paso may retire into EXECUTIVE SESSION pursuant to Section 3.5A of the El Paso City Charter and the Texas Government Code, Chapter 551, Subchapter D, to discuss any of the following: (The items listed below are matters of the sort routinely discussed in Executive Session, but the City Council of the City of El Paso may move to Executive Session any of the items on this agenda, consistent with the terms of the Open Meetings Act and the Rules of City Council.) The City Council will return to open session to take any final action and may also, at any
time during the meeting, bring forward any of the following items for public discussion, as appropriate.
Section 551.071 CONSULTATION WITH ATTORNEY
Section 551.072 DELIBERATION REGARDING REAL PROPERTY
Section 551.073 DELIBERATION REGARDING PROSPECTIVE GIFTS
Section 551.074 PERSONNEL MATTERS
Section 551.076 DELIBERATION REGARDING SECURITY DEVICES
Section 551.087 DELIBERATION REGARDING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT NEGOTIATIONS
Richarda Duffy Momsen, City Clerk
Sign language interpreters will be provided for this meeting upon request. Requests must be made to this department a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
Copies of this Notice will be provided in Braille, large print or audio tape upon request. Requests must be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to the date and time of meeting.