Resolve To Be Ready
What is a Disaster?
- An occurence causing widespread destruction and distress; a catastrophe
- A grave misfortune
- Informal - a total failure
- Disaster = Needs > Resources
What to Expect After a Disaster?
- Delayed response from first responders
- No utilities
- No cell phone service
- Collapsed buildings, fires, road blockages
- Physical and mental trauma
Preparing makes sense
The likelihood that you and your family will survive a house fire depends as much on having a working smoke detector and an exit strategy, as on a well-trained fire department. The same is true for surviving a terrorist attack or disaster. We must have the tools and plans in place to make it on our own, at least for a period of time, no matter where we are when a disaster strikes. Just like having a working smoke detector, preparing for the unexpected makes sense.