Halloween can be fun and exciting. Each year El Paso children set out for an evening of fun and adventure. To make sure our community stays safe during Halloween, the El Paso Fire Department would like to share a few important safety recommendations:
- Use a battery-operated candles or glow sticks in jack-o-lanterns and decorations.
- Do not overload electrical outlets when decorating. Make sure cables do not pose a tripping hazard.
- Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Avoid flammable materials in costumes. Stay away from long trailing fabric
- Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Children should not trick o’ treat unsupervised by adults. Stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Drivers, slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways. Take extra time to look for people at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- If someone is in need of emergency assistance dial 9-1-1 immediately.
Sparky Halloween Coloring Sheet
Color in the sheet and get valuable Halloween safety tips. Download the coloring sheet.
Sparky Pumpkin Template
Make a Sparky jack-o’-lantern with this easy-to-use pumpkin template. Download the template.