El Paso Earth Month
10 Easy Eco-Friendly Earth Month Tips!
You can also download the flyer.
- Invest in local food! Growing your own food, or purchasing from the farmer’s market, can help reduce your food miles, which contributes to improved air quality. Find out more at our Local Food Page.
- Compost! Yard trimmings & food residuals alone constitute 24% of the U.S. municipal solid waste stream1; composting is a sustainable way to help reduce waste and benefit the environment, plus compost is a great fertilizer. Find out more at our Garden EP Page.
- Calculate your carbon footprint both individually & for your home. A carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide and other carbon compounds emitted due to the consumption of fossil fuels by a particular person, group, etc. Find out how at our Carbon Footprint Page.
- Use alternative transportation! Using public transportation, carpooling, biking or walking on your way to and from work saves energy and reduces carbon dioxide emissions and other pollutants. Leaving your car at home just 2 days a week can reduce carbon pollution by an average of two tons per year.2 Find out more at our Get Involved Page.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. It’s an easy way to save energy and prevent carbon pollution. Hot water heating accounts for about 90% of the energy your washing machine uses to wash clothes.3
1. EPA. https://blog.epa.gov/blog/2015/09/urban-composting-its-always-worth-it/
2. EPA. https://blog.epa.gov/blog/tag/earth-month-tips/
3. EPA. https://blog.epa.gov/blog/tag/earth-month-tips/
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. What does this mean? The best way to manage waste is to not produce it in the first place, like printing dual sided, or avoiding purchasing disposable goods. Use reusable products instead of purchasing one-time use products, like bottled water. Learn what, how, and where to recycle in El Paso, and invest in recycled products! Find out more about recycling in El Paso at the El Paso Recycling Page.
- Plant a tree. A single tree can absorb up to 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide over its lifetime. Find out more on our Desert Canopy Page.
- Start a garden. Plants act as highly effective air cleaners, absorbing carbon dioxide, plus many air pollutants, while releasing clean oxygen, which contributes to improved air quality. Gardens can also provide fresh healthy foods which can save you money. Find out more on our Garden EP Page.
- Turn off the tap. Conserving water helps reduce your carbon footprint & conserves energy. Just by turning off the tap while you brush your teeth in the morning & before bedtime, you can save up to 8 gallons of water! That adds up to more than 200 gallons a month.4 Find out more at the El Paso Water Utility Page.
- Change 5 lights. The average home spends about 12% of its electricity bill on lighting. Replace your 5 most frequently used light fixtures or bulbs with Energy Star qualified products, and you will prevent carbon pollution while saving $75 a year on energy bills.5
4. EPA. https://blog.epa.gov/blog/tag/earth-month-tips/
5. EPA. https://blog.epa.gov/blog/tag/earth-month-tips/