Glass Recycling Pilot Program
The goal of the Glass Recycling Pilot Program is to find a beneficial use for crushed glass in our community, while also gauging citizen’s interest and participation in this special recycling program.
Fun Facts about Glass:
- Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled a million times over to produce bottles and jars of the same high quality.
- Each month, all of the glass bottles and jars that are thrown out, can fill up a giant skyscraper.
- The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle can run a 100-watt light bulb for 4 hours or a compact fluorescent bulb for 20 hours.
- A modern glass bottle takes about 4,000 years to decompose; or worse yet, even longer, if it is in a landfill.
Benefits of Crushed Glass:
- By having an end use for the crushed glass, it will help to reduce glass litter in our community.
- By diverting the crushed glass via a recycling program, it will help to reduce waste headed into the landfill.
- It provides a valuable resource with a second life.
- Unlike other heavy metals, crushed glass contains no toxic materials.
- Crushed glass does not pose other environmental issues.
- It can be used in a number of construction and household projects in place of sand and other resources.
- Crushed glass can be used as an aggregate in abrasive media and in landscaping.