Recycle Right El Paso
- For every one million sheets of paper not printed, 85 pulp trees are saved.
- If all morning newspapers read in the United States were recycled, 41,000 trees would be saved daily and 6 million tons of waste would never end up in landfills.
- Recycling an aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television set for three hours.
- Each year, steel recycling saves the equivalent to electrically power about one-fifth of U.S. households for one year.
- By using plastic in packaging, American product manufactures save enough energy each year to power a city of one million homes for three-and-a-half years.
- The aluminum beverage can returns to the grocer’s shelf in as little as 60 days after collection.
- Americans buy over 85 million tons of paper per year-that’s about 700 pounds per person.
- Most aluminum recovered is used to manufacture new cans.
- 99% of all beer cans and 97% of all soft drink cans are made of aluminum.
- Without plastics, 400 percent more material by weight and 200 percent more material by volume would be needed to make packaging. While the volume of packaging would more than double.