QUALITY OF LIFE
4th Annual Neighborhood Leadership Academy - Register Now!
The Neighborhood Services Division of the City of El Paso’s Department of Community and Human Development will host the 4th Neighborhood Leadership Academy beginning on October 7, 2009 and ending on March 3, 2010.The El Paso City Council adopted a citizen involvement policy goal to facilitate opportunities for citizens to be involved in local government. One of the action steps identified to achieve this goal was to establish an academy for non-traditional leaders.
The purpose of the Neighborhood Leadership Academy is to educate residents on how their local government operates. Participants will receive first hand information on how city services are managed and implemented through comprehensive presentations from specific departments operating under the City of El Paso.
* Airport * City Manager’s Office * Community Development * Development Services * Economic Development * Environmental Services * Fire * International Bridges * Library * Municipal Clerks Office * MCAD * Public Health * Parks and Recreation * Police * Streets * Sun Metro * Tax Office * Traffic Engineering * Water Utilities * Zoo * Other City Partners
Objectives of he Neighborhood Leadership Academy are:
- Educate non-traditional community leaders
- Provide a comprehensive curriculum on City services
- Promote civic engagement and residents’ roles in decision making processes
- Increase residents pride in their community and understanding for their City of El Paso
This 16-week course meets every Wednesday night from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. There will be a 6-week winter holiday break.
Participant selection criteria:
- Must be 18years of age or older
- Must be a resident living within the El Paso City Limits
- Must be a non-traditional person (a person who has not served on a City board, commission or an elected office)
- The Neighborhood Leadership Academy will enroll 40 participants
- Residents must submit a completed Neighborhood Leadership Academy application form
- Accepted or denied applications will be mailed by September 25, 2009
- More than three absences drops participants from the program
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion for program
- Participants may also be recommended for City boards and commissions
Applications are available on the City of El Paso’s Website
or at City Hall – Neighborhood Services Division, 2nd Floor
Applications must be returned by 5:00 p.m. on
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Neighborhood Services Office
City Hall – 2nd Floor
2 Civic Center Plaza, El Paso, Texas 79901