Parks and Recreation Updates
- The City Parks and Recreation Department is in a continuing process of upgrading their web site. The website, which will be undergoing some changes over the coming months, will have many new features. Among them will be a weekly blog by the department Interim Director, Barry Russell. A different person in the community that participates in parks and recreation events will be named Parks and Recreation Person of the Month. There will also be opportunities for photos taken by the community of their favorite parks and those from senior centers of their many events to be posted on the Parks and Recreation website. There will be directional maps for directions to facilities. Another innovation will be a question of the week by a different Parks and Recreation Employee to the public that can be answered. A new youth and teenage sports web page, detailing all the happenings in the city along with links to other sports groups in town, will be unveiled in the coming months and much more interesting ideas will be on tap on the web page.
- Arbor Day will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m. on October 27 at Franklin Park in northeast El Paso. The event will be an opportunity for the public to join in the celebration of planting and nurturing of trees. “Trees in the community cleanse the air, serve as an air filter and also the more trees to have they help in taking many pollutants out of the air,” said Barry Russell, interim director of the City Parks and Recreation Department. The Department will also be host to a state-wide Arbor Day Celebration in April of 2008.
- The 73rd annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony and Holiday Light Parade will take place at 5:30 p.m. on December 1st in downtown’s San Jacinto Plaza. The Parks and Recreation crews will start on November 1st with fixing up the decorations in the park and on the 55 foot Christmas tree, which has adorned the Plaza since 1998. The 12 Days of Christmas, which is a holiday concert series featuring area singers, will begin on December 5 starting at 5:00 p.m. and lasting until December 20. For more information on either of these holiday events, please call 541-4331.
- Salvador Rivas Park will have a new state-of-the-art irrigation system that is being implemented. Park benches, playground equipment, and other amenities will also be added to the park complex. The bidding process for the first stage will take place soon with the funds for the project coming from the Parkland Dedication Ordinance.
- The Gary Del Palacio Community Center is having a Hip Hop class by instructor Lorraine Sandoval, who has performed with Viva! El Paso for the past couple of years. The classes will be every Friday at the Gary Del Palacio Community Center and will be called “Jazz Funk” classes. Ms. Sandoval just returned from a dance workshop in California where she learned new and improved dance moves at The EDGE Studios. She is coming back with an aggressive dance ethic that will bring new light to the art of street dance. Join our Plaza Theater Performing Hip Hop class Mondays and Wednesdays, $20.00, and stay for our new Jazz Funk class on Fridays, $10.00.
The Gary Del Palacio Center is starting a Tae Kwon Do Class that will introduce a new type of Martial Arts – “The Art of Samurai” classes. There is a green belt minimum to join the class and it will only be held on Fridays. Per the instructor’s request, you must attend at least 1 month of her instruction in order to qualify for the special interest class. Learn the art of Tae Kwon Do from our 4th degree Black Belt, Master Carol Cobb, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, $20.00, and the ancient art of Samurai on Saturday for an additional $10.00.
- The Sierra Providence Healthy Hearts Walks in conjunction with the City Parks and Recreation Department will hold the final walk of the season on November 10th at 8:00 a.m. at Eastwood Park. There will be a ceremony on November 10th to honor the walkers of the past year that have participated in the most walks.
|Newsletter produced by the City Communications & Public Affairs Office.
If you would like to subscribe to receive the Community Newsletter,
send an email to email@example.com, with your name and email address.