Sun Metro to Host Important Community Meetings
Serving your community, meeting your transit needs, Sun Metro begins with YOU!
Sun Metro urges the public to attend one of a series of upcoming community meetings to provide first-hand experiences and offer specific suggestions that will assist us in identifying transit improvements of benefit to the entire community.
Sun Metro's latest endeavor begins next month with the first phase of a detailed service analysis that will not only address existing transportation needs, but also explore ideas that could help meet increasing transit demand. The analysis will explore opportunities in which to provide an efficient transit service while implementing potential service expansions on high ridership routes. Community involvement is critical in adding to the quality of the final recommendations which will complement our internal transit system analysis.
Sun Metro Service Improvement Plan
3-Stage Transit Analysis
- Local Input on current and future service
- Broad-based data collection, analysis and on-site examination of existing transit system
- Final recommendations for route improvements and service expansion plans
- Local Transit Coverage & Commute Patterns
- Traffic Volumes and Potential Rail Corridors
- System-wide passenger count
- Passenger Survey
- Existing Service Evaluation and Ridership Trends
- Fleet and Facilities Inventory
- Route improvement and Service Expansion Plans
- Financial Plan
The upcoming meetings are a perfect avenue for the community to help Sun Metro identify potential service improvements. Sun Metro is confident the meetings will result in improvements designed to encourage a larger segment of the community to use public transportation. Beginning next month, as part of an effort to gather ideas from the public, Sun Metro will conduct Community Meetings throughout El Paso. A brief informal overview of the project will be provided at each meeting, but the primary purpose is to listen to the public discuss the improvements they would like to see made over the next several years. The meeting locations, dates and times are listed below.
Sun Metro continues to move forward in providing the community with "a safe, reliable, clean bus, driven by a professional coach operator that practices excellent customer service". Please join us so, collectively, we can continue to improve our public transportation system!
- June 13th @ 6:00pm (Westside Branch Library)
- June 14th @ 6:00pm (Centro de Salud de la Familia La Fe)
- June 19th @ 12:00pm (Irving Shwartz Library)
- June 20th @ 2:00pm (Grandview Senior Center)
- June 21st @ 6:00pm (City Hall- Conference Room 8th Floor)
- June 27th @ 12:00pm (Archeology Museum)
Upcoming City Meetings & Events:
- For a listing of City Meetings, City Council Meetings or community
- To find out what City events are happening in a neighborhood near you, visit the City Events Calendar.
- Policy Change for Recycling - Senior / Disabled Waivers
Changes went into effect recently to change the service for recycling route waivers. Waiver holders will now have their recycling bins picked up only on the 2nd and 4th week of the month.
- Notice of Availability for Public Review and Comment:
Community and Human Development "City of El Paso's Annual Plan (2007-2008)"
Please see attached information that details this process, prior to submission of the Annual Plan to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in accordance with HUD regulations.
- El Paso Museum of History Grand Opening
Come celebrate 400 years of history.
- Community Survey: What You Think About the Community Newsletter
The City of El Paso created the Community Newsletter, The City Beat, to provide El Pasoans with up-to-date, accurate information about the City organization.
- 2006 City of El Paso Annual Report
We are pleased to share with you the City of El Paso’s 2006 Annual Report, “Connecting the Community – El Paso: On the Path to Progress.” The report captures the citywide effort to continue fostering the community’s momentum into a new era, one which entails a visionary outlook for our city.
Public Safety & Health:
- NEWS from El Paso Fire Department Prevention Division
The Fire Prevention Division takes on various activities and roles throughout the year to help prevent fires in the community.
- Fire Department Works With Community for Fundraiser
he El Paso Fire Department and local Baskin-Robbins ice cream stores partnered up for a fundraising effort benefiting the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.
Development & Infrastructure:
- Street Department Salvage Operation Helps to Beautify and Preserve 30 Palm Trees
Viscount from Montwood to I-10 is the beneficiary of some 30 palm trees that the Street Department has salvaged from the Paso Del Norte Bridge.
- Ribbon Cutting: Zaragoza Bridge Expansion
If you haven't heard the news yet, the Zaragoza Bridge has opened two new vehicular lanes going southbound to our neighbors in Ciudad Juarez.
- Storm 2006 Capital Projects
Get the latest information on the critical infrastructure priorities that resulted from Storm 2006.
- Thunderbird Valley Channel Repairs Now Underway
Repair work enhancing and improving the Thunderbird Valley Channel initiated recently as part of the ongoing initiative to expedite the Storm 2006 Capital Project.
- El Paso International Airport News
Progress continues on the new Butterfield Trail Golf Club.
Quality of Life:
- El Paso Zoo Helps Rehab 2 Golden Eagles: Now Taking Flight!
A successful partnership between the El Paso Zoo, the Chihuahuan Desert Wildlife Rescue, and the San Antonio wildlife rehabilitation group Last Chance Forever leads to the release of two Golden Eagles.
- Summer Archaeology Day Camp
The El Paso Museum of Archaeology will host various Summer Archaeology Day Camp sessions during the upcoming months.
- El Paso Museum of Art Summer 2007 Art Camps and Classes
Enroll your kids today for one of the many interesting and creative art camps or classes the Museum has to offer.
- Hurry…spaces filling up for Zoo Camp 2007!
El Paso Zoo Camp 2007 runs June, July & August! This year's animal theme is: Leopards
- El Paso Zoo Volunteers Attend Wolf Conference in Arizona
Recently, Zoo volunteers Nancy Bain and Helen Stark attended a Wolf Conference. Find out more about what they learned!
- Upcoming El Paso Zoo Events
Enjoy the sights, sounds and wonder of the El Paso Zoo this summer.
- Join the El Paso Youth Council Today!
The City of El Paso is seeking teens in grades 10-12 to serve on the El Paso Youth Council
- The El Paso Museum of Art presents:
Sister Cities: Testing Boundaries: Art and Artisans Along the U.S. - Mexico Border Contemporary Crossroads
Visit this new and exciting exhibit!
- Keep Kids Mentally Active This Summer
El Paso Public Library's Summer Reading Club (SRC) kicks-off on Saturday, June 2 at all public library facilities.
- Museum Taking Applications for Summer Youth Volunteers
Looking for something fun and rewarding to do this summer? Apply for the Summer Youth Volunteer Program at the El Paso Museum of Art and help out with children's art classes!
- Parks and Recreation Updates
A returning concert series and the upcoming summer swim league top this month's Parks & Recreation updates.
- Events at Your Local Recreation Centers
Read more about what is going on at your neighborhood rec center!
- Club Rec 2007 - Join in on the Fun This Summer!!!
The 2007 edition of Club Rec is scheduled to start on June 4 and end on July 27.
- 2007 Older El Pasoans Hall of Fame Ceremony
The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (R.S.V.P.) which has been promoting and recognizing
the service of senior volunteers in our community for over 30 years hosted the 2007 Older El
Pasoans Hall of Fame ceremony on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at the Ysleta Independent School
District Cultural Center (9600 Sims).
|Newsletter produced by the City Communications & Public Affairs Office.
If you would like to subscribe to receive the Community Newsletter,
send an email to email@example.com, with your name and email address.