Downtown Construction UPDATE; Effect on Sun Metro Operation
Downtown Construction Project reaches final stages
As part of the Central Business District Phase III initiative addressing the major reconstruction of several downtown streets, the intersection of Mesa and Main is now closed to traffic.
Construction at the intersection mobilized as of January 13, 2008 and will be closed for approximately 6-8 weeks to allow for the final necessary improvements to the utility connections.
The scope of work for the entire initiative has featured the replacement of existing asphalt pavement, sidewalks, driveways, existing traffic signals and street lighting. The improvement project also upgrades all existing water and sanitary sewer lines. The following streets were targeted in expediting this project:
- Traffic will be diverted onto Franklin and Mills
- Pedestrian access will be available
- The overall project is still ahead of schedule with expected completion this spring
Construction on Main & Mesa Relocates Sun Metro from Plaza
- Franklin Avenue from Campbell St. to Santa Fe St
- Mesa Street from Main Ave. to San Antonio Ave.
- Mills Avenue from Campbell St. to Mesa St.
- Oregon Street from Main Ave. to Wyoming Ave.
- Stanton Street from San Antonio Ave. to Wyoming Ave.
- Santa Fe Street from Paisano Dr. to Loop 375
Please note that during this time, Sun Metro will relocate from San Jacinto Plaza to the area surrounding the City of El Paso’s Main Public Library for 6 to 8 weeks or until construction on Main & Mesa is completed. Boarding locations will be relocated from San Jacinto Plaza to Missouri, Franklin and Oregon.
Sun Metro personnel will be on-site to assist passengers with questions, alternate boarding location maps will be posted at the Plaza, inside buses and flyers will be passed out to the public prior to the relocation.
Alternate Boarding Points:
CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAP OF RELOCATION
- Westside Routes: Boarding locations for routes 18, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11 will relocate to Oregon between Wyoming and Missouri.
- Mission Valley Routes: Boarding Locations for routes 61, 62, 66 will relocate to Oregon between Missouri and Franklin; route 65 to Missouri between Mesa and Oregon.
- Express/Central Routes: Boarding locations for routes 3, 34, 36, 42, 59 will relocate to Franklin between El Paso and Oregon; routes 1, 22, 24 to Missouri between Mesa and Oregon.
- Downtown Circulator/Bridge Routes: Boarding locations for routes 8, 10 will relocate to Franklin between El Paso and Santa Fe; route 4 to Missouri between Mesa and Oregon.
- Eastside and Montana: Boarding locations for routes 50, 55 will relocate on Missouri between Mesa and El Paso.
- Northeast Route: Boarding location for route 35 will relocate to Missouri between Oregon and El Paso.
- Sunland Park Route: Boarding location for route 83 will relocate to Missouri between Oregon and El Paso.
|Newsletter produced by the City Communications & Public Affairs Office.
If you would like to subscribe to receive the Community Newsletter,
send an email to email@example.com, with your name and email address.